The idea of being poor in spirit is the key to all the Beatitudes that Jesus taught us (Matthew 5:1-12). I like the way the Life Application Bible applies this to our lives:
- You cannot mourn without appreciating how insufficient you are to handle life with just your own strength.
- You cannot be meek unless you know you have needed gentleness yourself.
- You cannot hunger and thirst for righteousness if you proudly think of yourself as already righteous.
- You cannot be merciful without recognizing your own need for mercy.
- You cannot be pure of heart if your heart is full of pride.
- You cannot be a peacemaker if you believe that you are always right.
- You cannot identify with Christ in the face of negative reactions from others without dying to yourself.
All of these Beatitudes are rooted in humility, being poor in spirit.
Which of the Beatitudes of Jesus touches YOU the most?
MY PRAYER IS THAT WHEN I DIE, ALL HELL REJOICES THAT I AM OUT OF THE FIGHT!